When it comes to training your volunteers, there is certain core content that is critical to include in a comprehensive training program to effectively prevent child sexual abuse. Depending on your organization, education/training for volunteers should differ. As is true with interns, consultants, and contractors, volunteer-specific training would look very different for volunteers who meet with children/youth in a supervised site versus on their own in the community.
Training should be based on the volunteer role and the level of engagement with children/youth. The following new and current volunteers should be trained in child sexual abuse prevention:
- Anyone who has the opportunity to engage or connect with children and youth informally or formally—whether the contact is supervised or unsupervised
- Volunteers, interns, consultants, and contractors with access to or supervision over youth, including adults and youth in leadership positions
- New and current volunteers, interns, consultants, and contractors
View More in Training View All
Build Your Prevention Toolkit
Customize child sexual abuse prevention guidelines to meet the unique needs of your organization.
- Research-based guidance
- Actionable prevention steps
- Comprehensive, customizable method
- Adaptable for YSOs of every kind